ROD PHILLIPS RETURNS AS VOICE OF THE OILERS

As reported by the Edmonton Oilers website:...

Legendary voice of the Edmonton Oilers Rod Phillips returns for his 37th consecutive year in the Oilers Radio play-by-play booth.

Click here to watch Rod's announcement online at edmontonoilers.com

Rod has called them all, beginning with the first six Oilers seasons in the WHA and then 30 straight years in the NHL. He has called Stanley Cups, record moments, playoff runs, goals, gaffs and fights since the Oilers were first formed – all the greatest Edmonton Oilers moments. He’s created some of the most unique new words in the English language during hectic moments or big fights and has never been shy about his view of a call that didn’t make sense.“I honestly thought I might call it a day after last season,” said Rod when announcing his return to the 630 CHED broadcast booth on The Link at edmontonoilers.com this morning. “In fact, I had my seat cushion under my arm and was headed for the hockey sunset but as usual a few weeks off have rejuvenated me and in fact right about now I can’t wait for it all to begin again.”Inducted to the Hockey Hall of Fame in the Broadcaster category in 2003, Rod has called over 3400 Oilers games and will surpass 3500 games this season.

1 comments:

It would not be at all the same without Rod Phillips. Even visitors to Canada who did not understand hockey at all told me that he was exciting to listen to. Glad there is one more season in the Voice of the Oilers.

Jim
June 29, 2009 at 11:55 AM comment-delete

Post a Comment

More To Read