On the 10th Day Of Oilers Christmas...

On the 10th day of Christmas, the Oilers gave to me...

#10 from the Chicago Blackhawks - Patrick Sharp

I am a fan of Patrick Sharp. Those that read this blog frequently, probably already know that.


I love the way he plays hockey, I love the the skill he brings and the element of success on both ends of the ice and the fact that he's done all this without the expectation of a top pick (he was taken 95th overall in the 2001 entry draft).

Patrick Sharp plays in a land of great skill in Chicago, yet he seems to be able to set himself a part and standout. He's making more than fair money for his production, he's young and willing to do the things most players won't and in short, he's everything the Edmonton Oilers could use.

I did a quick article on the Bleacher Report about a caller to one of Edmonton's local radio shows, who suggested Ales Hemsky for Patrick Sharp and Dustin Byfuglien.

While I'm not an advocate of moving a good contract (which Hemsky's is), or Edmonton's leading scorer over the past three to four years (which Hemsky also is), I have to admit, at the thought of adding a Patrick Sharp, I'd be willing to say adios to Hemmer.

In 31 games this season, Sharp is a plus/minus +10 with 9 goals and 15 assists for 24 points. Nah he's not a point-per-game player right now, but he brings so much more than just offence, that you have to account for it.

Sharp is over 50% on faceoffs, he kills penalties and plays monster minutes on the powerplay, and he's a versatile forward who can play wing or center if the need exists.

On the 10th day, I'd love to see Patrick Sharp as an Oiler.



4 comments:

It is interesting that Hemsky seems not to be missed that much these days - I wonder why it is that the Oilers seem to step up when one of their stars goes down. What do you think that is?

Anonymous
December 15, 2009 at 11:02 AM comment-delete

While I would need to dig deeper, my guess is that Hemsky being injured and the team doing well is likely as much coincidence as it is a factor of his absence.

When a player like Hemsky goes down, I can't think that someone of his talents could ever help the team if he's out of the lineup.

Why I think people feel the need to offer him up in trade, is that he's been so heavily relied upon as the only weapon the Oilers have, that when they see success without him, they think it can continue.

Hemsky has a tendency to have on and off days. When he's off, it appears as though the team feeds off that energy and it's contageous. I hope that isn't true.

Patrick Sharp is the type of player that does the opposite. His energy inspires play.

December 15, 2009 at 11:57 AM comment-delete

I wish that caller was the hawks GM but... Is there any truth to having Sharp and Byfuglien in the deal? Does Hemmer really have that much pull?
Hemsky can be fun to watch when hes on but... the oiler fans love the high energy more.

Marsh
December 15, 2009 at 12:17 PM comment-delete

@ Marsh

From all I've heard, this isn't a deal that's even been talked about between these two teams. If it had, it would take more than Hemsky for two reasons. 1) his contract alone doesn't clear enough space for the Oilers and 2) I don't think Hemsky alone gets you Sharp and Byfuglien.

My guess is that someone like Andrew Cogliano would need to be included in the deal to make it work.

If I were proposing the trade, I'd offer Hemsky, Cogliano and a 3rd rounder for Sharp and Byfuglien.

Clears enough space for Chicago, gets Edmonton two gritty forwards and gets the Hawks a decent return for some obvious talent.

This trade of course would have to wait until the end of the season because Hemsky isn't doing anyone any good and Chicago won't move two valueable pieces while they have a chance to make and go far in the playoffs.

December 15, 2009 at 2:44 PM comment-delete

Post a Comment

More To Read